ITIN and W-7 Services
Frank's Tax Service is an IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA). You can apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in person for yourself and your family members at our Lexington, NC office. This will prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status documents. After processing, the IRS will mail your ITIN to you, allowing you to file your Form 1040 tax returns. To apply, you must make an appointment online with Frank Broadway, EA, or call our Lexington office at 336-238-1040.
What is an ITIN used for?
IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with U.S. tax laws and provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security numbers. They are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code. ITINs do not serve any purpose other than federal tax reporting.
An ITIN does not:
- Authorize work in the U.S.
- Provide eligibility for Social Security benefits.
- Qualify a dependent for Earned Income Tax Credit Purposes
Do I need an ITIN?
Does the following apply to you?
- You do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain one, and
- You have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal tax return, and
- You are in one of the following categories:
- Nonresident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return
- U.S. resident alien who is (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
- Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
- Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
- Nonresident alien claiming a tax treaty benefit
- Nonresident alien student, professor, or researcher filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception
If so, then you must apply for an ITIN.
Do I need to renew my ITIN?
If your ITIN wasn't included on a U.S. federal tax return at least once for tax years 2018, 2019, and 2020, your ITIN will expire on December 31, 2021.